Comparing Car Insurance
When using a comparison site like Tiger.co.uk to compare car insurance, key points to consider are:
- Cost – is the policy affordable and do you want to pay in a lump sum or in instalments. Remember, you will be charged interest if you choose to pay in instalments so it could be worth using a 0% purchase credit card to pay up-front instead.
- Suitability for your particular needs – what level of cover do you require? Fully comprehensive or third party fire and theft?
- Excess – Voluntary excess is the amount you will pay out in the event of a claim. The voluntary excess is in addition to any compulsory excess on the policy which is set by the insurer. If it is an accident this amount will need you be paid whether it is your fault or not – so you will need to think about how much you would be prepared to pay in such circumstances. The higher the excess amount you are willing to pay, the more discount you will get on your premium.
NB: Some comparison sites will set the default excess at £250 which can often go un-noticed. Here at Tiger.co.uk we allow you to select and set the excess yourself so you can generate quotes with different excess levels allowing you to see what the effect on the premium is.
- Flexibility: It is worth reading up on what happens if you wish to cancel or switch.
- Terms: Check the small print. When does the policy pay out/are there restrictions?
When using Tiger.co.uk you can find out most of the policy detail from the quote results page by clicking through via the ‘more info’ button.